I thought maybe I forgot this last year, but turned out I did do my 2011 retrospective. Figured I might try it again for 2012. Just copying my entry from last year. This retrospective was originally inspired by Linda at Sundry Mourning.
1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before? I continued with community management, but officially added social media manager to the list as well. We lived in Point Loma all year long, which is a big change for us, having lived near La Jolla for about 13 years. And you know what? I really love this neighborhood. It’s fabulous. We tried to become homeowners in 2012, but didn’t quite make it. We should pull the trigger sometime this month, we think. And we got a dog.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? Nope.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? My niece had her first baby, but haven’t gotten to him quite yet. Hoping in the spring.
4. Did anyone close to you die? Oh, man. This was a really rough year. We lost THREE friends and all of them we met via fishing. Pam, Stan, Steve — we miss you all so very much.
5. What countries did you visit? Absolutely none, except in my mind. (same as last year!)
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012? A house. (That hasn’t changed.) BUT, we are under contract for our place, so that should happen in January. We hope!
7. What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? My oldest son’s first day of school. The day we lost Steve. The day we decided to shoot the moon and try to buy our place. TEDxSanDiego 2012.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Keeping my sanity pending a possible unemployment and building up my freelance work to compensate. And taking over social media for TEDxSanDiego.
9. What was your biggest failure? Still didn’t build up our reserves like we should, but am taking another crack at it this year. Determined to do it this time.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Nothing too major, except my eyesight is getting worse with this dry eye condition.
11. What was the best thing you bought? A new stove & fridge. LOVE them.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Hmmm. My youngest is learning to talk and doing so well at it. And the oldest has really worked hard in school. His speech is really good now & he continues to work on it. So proud of him.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Just about everyone during the elections.
14. Where did most of your money go? Scraping together enough for our down payment.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Finally owning our own place after all this time.
16. What song will always remind you of 2012? Hmmm. That’s a tough one. Maybe “I Won’t Give Up” by Jason Mraz. Played that a lot.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
– happier or sadder? happier, mostly.
– thinner or fatter? slightly fatter.
– richer or poorer? a lot poorer.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Spending fun time w/kids.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Not saving.
20. How did you spend Christmas? We stayed home this year. With job uncertainty & trying to buy the house, we just couldn’t swing it. It was nice to be home, but I really missed being with my parents & extended family.
21. Did you fall in love in 2012? Yes, more & more with my family. (same as last year)
22. What was your favorite TV program? I think it’s still Castle. And Game of Thrones.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? No, still hating on the same person for, oh, about 9 years now. Some things don’t change.
24. What was the best book you read? I didn’t get to read a whole lot, as usual. I might have to come back to this one.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery? I don’t have one.
26. What did you want and get by year’s end? Work. Got an extension on my current contract and have other things in the works, so it’s all good for now.
27. What did you want and not get by year’s end? Our house. Just a tiny delay.
28. What was your favorite film of this year? I think I saw one film: Hunger Games. Wanted to see the Hobbit, but we haven’t gone to it yet.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I went to dinner with my dear friend and tried a restaurant that I’ve been dying to try: BoBeau. And it was fabulous. I’m 39.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Doing better at getting out of debt.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012? Non-existent.
32. What kept you sane? Hubby giving me time to get out of the house & do things by myself. Like go have a leisurely cup of coffee. Or browse the bookstore. Or go do some writing.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Nathan Fillion from Castle. Love the show & his character. (no change)
34. What political issue stirred you the most? I can’t stand politics. Truly. (no change)
35. Who did you miss? My mom – I wish we lived closer. And several out of state friends. And those we lost way too early.
36. Who was the best new person you met? Not one, but many: The people I worked with for TEDxSanDiego. What a fantastic bunch. I <3 them.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012. Put money away while you have it. Because you never know when you won’t. A layoff isn’t the end of the world, even though it sure seems like it at first (during panic mode). And never underestimate the power of networking. Or kindness from the most unlikely of places. (no change)
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Settle down, it’ll all be clear
Don’t pay no mind to the demons
They fill you with fear
The trouble it might drag you down
If you get lost, you can always be found
Just know you’re not alone
Cause I’m going to make this place your home