I could have sworn I did this last year. Maybe I only saved the meme with plans to do it, who knows? Anyway, I originally saw it on All & Sundry and thought it might be fun to do & take some time to think about the past year.
1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before? Worked for the entire year for myself (I’ve freelanced part-time for years, but this was the first full calendar year of freelancing full-time).
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I don’t really make resolutions, but I am looking at setting some actual goals for 2010. I’m a little tired of coasting.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? No, not anyone in my immediate circle of friends.
4. Did anyone close to you die? Yes, my uncle died around easter. My aunt died on New Year’s Day, but that’s technically 2010.
5. What countries did you visit? I stayed here in the US.
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009? A house.
7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? I hosted my first Thanksgiving – cooked the entire meal. In previous years, we’d always shared meal duties with friends. But this year it was just family, due to our friends being gone or having other obligations. It may be a small feat to some people, but it was a big deal to me to have my husband’s family gathered around.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? I wish I could say like I felt I’d accomplished something this past year.
9. What was your biggest failure? Gaining back all of the baby weight I had previously lost — & more.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Nope.
11. What was the best thing you bought? I don’t know. Maybe my Droid phone, because it was a tremendous help during our trip.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? My husband and daughter – they covered for me while I went to a work conference in Chicago. It was a nice break, something I really needed, even as I missed everyone.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? I can’t really think of anything right now, but I’m sure there’s something, somewhere that bugged me.
14. Where did most of your money go? Rent and COBRA.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Art journaling – it’s new to me & I am really enjoying it. I don’t know why I didn’t start this sooner.
16. What song will always remind you of 2009? Probably “Single Ladies” since it was everywhere you went, even though I don’t listen to a lot of radio anymore (no commute).
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
– happier or sadder? Meh.
– thinner or fatter? Fatter. Ugh.
– richer or poorer? Poorer. Double Ugh.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Gotten on the floor & played with my son.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Worked so hard for so little money.
20. How did you spend Christmas? At my parents’ house, same as the last several years.
21. Did you fall in love in 2009? I’m already there. I love my family more than ever.
22. What was your favorite TV program? I watched a LOT of NCIS, but discovered Grey’s Anatomy, Castle, Lie to Me, & Leverage.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? No, still hating on the same person for, oh, about 6 years now. She’ll never be a part of our lives again.
24. What was the best book you read? The Time Traveler’s Wife.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery? Pomplamoose
26. What did you want and get by year’s end? A new cell phone
27. What did you want and not get by year’s end? A house
28. What was your favorite film of this year? I don’t even remember what I saw this year. I don’t get out a lot.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? Nothing. No money. I was 36.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Earning enough to get a house.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009? Finding things that fit my larger a$$.
32. What kept you sane? My husband giving me time to get out of the house by myself.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Nathan Fillion from Castle. Love the show & his character.
34. What political issue stirred you the most? I can’t stand politics. Truly.
35. Who did you miss? My best friend, who moved this year.
36. Who was the best new person you met? I met several amazing ladies via Twitter. And I’m so grateful for that.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009. Complaining does not equal change.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
“No one else, no one else
Can speak the words on your lips
Drench yourself in words unspoken
Live your life with arms wide open
Today is where your book begins
The rest is still unwritten”
–Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield