The good and bad of conferencing with a baby

Traveling with a baby sucks donkey balls. I’m just sayin’. There’s really no easy way to go about it, especially when you’re flying solo and your child is too big to carry in a sling for more than 5 minutes.

And babies need a lot of crap, so you pack twice as much – maybe three times as much – crap and then have to lug around said crap.

Yet I am so grateful that I get to go to a conference that is so baby-friendly. I would have missed my little guy terribly had I gone without him. I will do things differently next year, that is certain.

I found I needed child care MORE during the evenings. I didn’t have a backup person with me (like, ahem, some people). I wanted to go to the cocktail parties to see people that I didn’t get to see during the day. Visit a little. Schmooze, if you will.

But I couldn’t. At all. It was way too crowded. I couldn’t maneuver anywhere, even with the small stroller I took (thank goodness I didn’t take the jogger!). I wound up staying in one place, usually in a corner or out of the way because it was easier. Not very helpful when you’re trying to meet people.

I probably should have just stayed in at night – it would have saved me the frustration. But I really wanted to try, wanted to see everyone. It’s just not possible with a bigger baby.

Next time, I will either need to have someone with me or just not bring him. Those are the only options, really. I was way too stressed out to enjoy the parties like I wanted to.

Wait, I said good and bad, right? Okay. The daycare was awesome. They took such good care of my guy. He was happy and had so much fun playing with the toys they had and getting lots of attention from the women. And they were so nice when I had to keep checking in on him.

I loved being able to go to my sessions without towing him and the stroller and diaper bag (in addition to my camera and other junk). But I also loved being able to run upstairs and see what he was up to. I’ve never seen such a family-friendly conference in all of my years. Where else can you find a lactation room at a con? Not any of the other conferences I’ve been to.

I would totally do it again, but differently. And let’s not get into the suck that is navigating an airport with a kid and luggage – and then having flight delays added on.

1. Mocha (1 comments.) says:

I think you did very well and I regret not sniffing your baby’s head. What was I thinking?

Mocha’s last blog post..It’s Pathetic, Really

Thank you. I’m sorry you didn’t sniff his head. After all, I licked you, so that would only be a fair exchange. You were wonderful, always friendly. Gorgeous. I didn’t get to see your daughter, though, which I was bummed about. BTW, your comments in Maggie’s session about your kids thanking you? Awesome.

3. workout mommy (1 comments.) says:

He was PERFECT! I love how he calmly enjoyed the yoga class without a screech or yelp, which is what mine would have been doing!

and traveling alone with baby? BRAVE! :)

Thankfully, it was early morning when he’s most content. Early afternoon/ evening? Totally different story.

traveling alone with baby – crazy. ;)

5. canape (7 comments.) says:

Totally brave, I agree. I thought you guys were doing a great job at Ruby Skye.

I had help (my mom), but even still, I found myself turning in way early just because I missed the little dude.

Glad I got a chance to meet you.

canape’s last blog post..A little kindness goes a long way

Aw, thanks! It got harder later, as it got more crowded. I wound up just standing at the bar with my drink. At least Skye came by for a little bit and talked to me. She kinda had to, since I grabbed her arm as she went by. Hee.

7. Julie @ the calm before the stork (13 comments.) says:

Your boy was such a star! I wish I’d given mine more time with the childcare folks. It was hard for me to relax and let go.

8. Tricia (1 comments.) says:

Hey! I guess you made it to BART and the airport okay…I was thinking about you pushing, carrying, amusing the boy, struggling. Glad you made it. Hope it wasn’t too terrible.

It was good to talk with you at Macy’s! Thanks.

Tricia’s last blog post..Beastly Breast Bashing (couldn’t resist…)

Tricia, the concierge wound up helping me. He was so nice. I really need to write them a letter of thank you. He walked with me all the way to the platform. From there it wasn’t too horrible (in spite of flight delays – ick!). I didn’t mean to dump on you Sunday morning. I was a wee bit stressed. I totally enjoyed meeting you and getting to chat. You made a huge impression on me with your easygoing nature and the way you jumped in to help a total stranger. Thank you.

@Julie – thanks! It really took all I had to leave him there. And I checked in several times each day. I just had to – it was the first time I’d ever left him with anyone other than daddy.

So I don’t know if I was any more relaxed than you were. I was slightly better the second day, when I saw how well he was doing. Your little guy was such a cutie. I love your cards and the pic of him on there. Adorable.