the terror continues, or, I quit

snuggle bugI just did something I haven’t really done before. I just quit my job. And I don’t have another job lined up either, except for my writing.

I gave my notice at work today. I offered to continue to work until they can find someone to replace me. I’m not sure if they’ll take m up on that. If they do, I could be working part-time for another couple of months. If the business office decides that they would rather keep the cost savings, well, I’m out of a job come mid-June.

If I hadn’t mentioned it, I’m just a little scared. I have some writing, but I haven’t yet lined up enough to replace my income. I’m working on it, though.

But I had to do it. I just had to. My family is more important. It’ll be a struggle in the beginning, but we’ll make it. The smile my little boy gives me each morning more than makes up for it.

So I’m not unemployed, just changing venues. It looks like I’m officially a writer and nothing else. I’m scared, yet excited.

1. CGHill (6 comments.) says:

As the phrase goes, you gotta do what you gotta do. (And as you said elsewhere, it’s absurd to tie health coverage to employment; it’s just one of the anomalies in the tax code that makes life more difficult than it needs to be.) I figure, not spending all that money on daycare has to be a bargain in the long run.

CGHill’s last blog post..Saturday spottings (on the road again)

Yes, daycare would have been at least half of my salary anyway. So I really only need to replace half, but I’d like to get out of debt in the next 5 years or so, so more would be better. :)

The insurance thing has been the most frustrating piece of it all. I’m actually relieved to see the plans that Blue Cross offers in our area.

3. Jess (1 comments.) says:

As long as you are happy and your family is happy that is all that matters. Enjoy your time and I hope that you find more writing gigs that help replace your income.

Jess’s last blog post..If you can not say it to their face

Thanks, Jess. I think it’ll be fine, but the unknown is scary for a control freak. :)

5. g.zhen.ning (1 comments.) says:

Take good care of your children is the great job!

g.zhen.ning’s last blog post..本能PK功夫熊猫

It’s the best job I could have right now.

7. zoe (1 comments.) says:

Whoa! Congrats on the big step. Really taking a chance like that means you must be passionate and I truly believe that success (in anything) comes from passion.

I came over to your blog from Belinda’s article on Driving Skills for Life on the Common Consumer. The company I work with works with Ford on their social media efforts and I was fortunate enough to meet Belinda at that event. (If you checked out her flickr stream, I’m the one who touched the Ford GT without asking;)

z

zoe’s last blog post..Nutrisystem #2: The Booklet

@zoe – thanks for stopping by. I just recently interviewed Jim Graham and will post more about that & Driving Skills for Life over at askpatty.com.

I do love writing about all kinds of things, so I’m hoping it will remain a joy and something I look forward to each day.