It’s time for my yearly retrospective. I’ve been doing this for about 5 years now. For previous years see these: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009. Just copying my entry from last year. This retrospective was originally inspired by Linda at Sundry Mourning.
1. What did you do in 2013 that you’d never done before? So much went on this year! Bought a new van. Hired a nanny. Got some new clients. Went to Austin. Went to NYC. Went to Belgium. Finally closed on our house. Crazy, crazy year.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? Nope.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Nah. Not anyone super close.
4. Did anyone close to you die? It was quiet this past year, thankfully.
5. What countries did you visit? Belgium! I got to go to Europe and it was so cool. Wish I’d had time to do more exploring around Europe, but it was still a memorable trip.
6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013? A bit more work-life balance.
7. What dates from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? My son’s first day of kindergarten. My time in NYC, Austin, and Belgium. I feel so fortunate for the travel I did this year. It was amazing.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Pitching and getting some of my own clients. Taking a chance even when I was nervous and a bit unsure.
9. What was your biggest failure? A campaign didn’t turn out as well as it could have. Disappointing, but lesson learned.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? I found out that I have diabetes.
11. What was the best thing you bought? The new van. And also my new coffee maker, which I absolutely love.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? My husband has been simply amazing in helping, especially with all of the travel I’ve done this year. I couldn’t have done all this without him, nor would I be at this point in my career without him.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Pretty much everything that hits the news. Ugh.
14. Where did most of your money go? Bills. Trying to get out of debt.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Closing on our house after way too many months in escrow. And my trip to Belgium.
16. What song will always remind you of 2013? I can’t really think of anything that jumps out as a theme song for the year. Hopefully it won’t be Wrecking Ball or that Robin Thicke song.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
– happier or sadder? happier.
– thinner or fatter? thinner – lost 40 pounds.
– richer or poorer? a tiny bit richer. for now.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Spending fun time w/kids.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Working too much instead of spending time w/kids & hubs.
20. How did you spend Christmas? Got to go see my parents again. So very happy to get to do that.
21. Did you fall in love in 2013? Yes, more & more with my family. (same as last year)
22. What was your favorite TV program? I think it’s still Castle. And Game of Thrones.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? No, still hating on the same person for, oh, about 10 years now. Some things don’t change.
24. What was the best book you read? I didn’t get to read a whole lot, as usual. I might have to come back to this one.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery? I don’t have one.
26. What did you want and get by year’s end? To go see family during the holidays. I really missed them last year.
27. What did you want and not get by year’s end? Enough time off. A vacation.
28. What was your favorite film of this year? The only film I can think of is Catching Fire. Saw it with hubs.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I took a 3-day weekend at the spa. It was AWESOME. I turned 40.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Doing better at getting out of debt.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2013? Making changes. Trying to step up my game a little more, thanks to shopping at WH|BM.
32. What kept you sane? Hubby giving me time to get out of the house & do things by myself. Like go have a leisurely cup of coffee. Or browse the bookstore. Or go do some writing.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Nathan Fillion from Castle. Love the show & his character. (no change)
34. What political issue stirred you the most? I can’t stand politics. Truly. (no change)
35. Who did you miss? My mom – I wish we lived closer. And several out of state friends.
36. Who was the best new person you met? Too hard to choose!
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013. Work hard while the getting’s good, but don’t sacrifice TOO much time w/your family. It won’t be worth it in the long run.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
I can’t think of any right now. Will come back if something occurs to me.